Frequently Asked Questions

Registration, Login, Account Profile

Q1: How do I register for CaseFileXpress?

Registering for CaseFileXpress is simple:

  1. 1. Access the CaseFileXpress system at
  2. 2. Complete steps 1-4: Filer Details, Firm Details, Delegate Selection, and User ID/Password. *
  3. 3. Click Create Account at the end of Step 4.

*You will be asked to enter a firm registration code.  If you are registering in an existing firm, you should acquire the firm registration code from your firm’s CaseFileXpress firm manager, or, you can request it from File & ServeXpress customer support at or 877-433-4533.  If your firm is not registered within the CaseFileXpress system you must create a firm registration code and complete the Firm Details tab.

Q2: What if I cannot register because my bar number is not in the Court's system or I am a new member to the DC Bar?

When you register within the CaseFileXpress system, we validate your bar number with the Court’s case management system. We will notify you immediately if your bar number cannot be validated.  Please contact the clerk’s office by phone at 202-879-1133 or email with your full name, business address, business phone and fax number, DC bar number, and email address.  Once the clerk’s office adds your bar number to their case management system, you may register and eFile through CaseFileXpress to the Court.

Q3: I forgot my user ID and/or password?

Simply click on the appropriate link on the CaseFileXpress login page. After answering your challenge questions, your user ID and/or password will be emailed to the email address in your CaseFileXpress profile.

Q4: Can I change my user ID and password?

Your user ID cannot be changed, but you may change your password anytime and as often as necessary.

To change your password, click on Change Password under the Account Setting menu on your Dashboard. Create the new password and submit. For questions regarding your user ID, you may contact File & ServeXpress customer support at or 877-433-4533.

Q5: How do I update my account profile information?

Once logged in to CaseFileXpress, click on View/Update Profile under Account Settings on your Dashboard.

Payments & Fees

Q1: How are Fees calculated?

See below for Pricing:

  • Regular Filing: eFiling fees are calculated by adding the court filing fee (if applicable) + CaseFileXpress fee ($15.00) + a (2.5% + $1) processing fee to NIC.
  • Discovery Service Only: $8.50 + a (2.5% + $1) processing fee to NIC, regardless of the number of attorneys served, up to 30 MB per transmission.
  • Small Claims and Landlord Tenant Filing Fee: eFiling fees are calculated by adding the court filing fee (if applicable) + $5 + a (2.5% + $1) processing fee to NIC.
  • Batch Filing Fee: eFiling fees are calculated by adding the court filing fee (if applicable) + $62.50 + a (2.5% + $1) processing fee to NIC – up to 25 Small Claims or Landlord tenant filings per batch.

Q2: Does File & ServeXpress charge for an electronic filing rejected by the court?

No. Electronic filings rejected by the court clerk are not assessed a CaseFileXpress or court fee. If your filing is rejected you must resubmit as soon as practicable, your rejected filing does not get docketed.

Q3: How do I update payment information?

Once logged in to the CaseFileXpress system, click on Change Payment Information under Account Settings on your dashboard. If your firm’s payment information is locked, only your firm administrator may modify your firm’s payment information.  If your firm has a monthly invoicing with File & ServeXpress, only a Firm Administrator has access to the payment information. However, you may override the firm’s account and add a different credit card on the Confirm & Submit screen at the time of submission.

Q4: What payment options do you offer?

File & ServeXpress accepts American Express, Visa, and MasterCard credit cards, debit cards, and pre-paid debit cards for CaseFileXpress transactions. File & ServeXpress also offers monthly billing for firms/agencies with credit approval. Please contact customer support to request our credit application:

Q5: If a person is not required to eFile, such as a self-represented litigant but chooses to be eServed are there any costs?

There is no cost to receive a filing, which was served upon you.

Q6: What are the choices for paying court and eFiling related fees? Is money paid in advance or at the time of eFiling?

Filers are able to pay per transaction with a credit or debit card (MC, Visa, Discover, AmEx) online at the time the transaction is submitted through CaseFileXpress. Additionally, filers who meet the filing requirements and a credit application are able to sign up for firm billing and receive a monthly invoice.

Q7: How does a filer obtain a receipt that shows all fees associated with a particular case and can be used as an attachment to a fee petition?

Filers are able to run reports, which show all filings on a particular case and associated fees. Filers can print the receipt provided at the time the transaction is accepted by the clerk’s office and for up to six months from the dashboard.

Electronic Filing

Q1: How do I file a document larger than 30MB?

Create separate files for supporting documents so filing submission does not exceed 30MB. In the first filing, upload the lead document and first grouping of supporting documents. In the Special Instructions field, provide information to the court clerk that additional supporting documents are being submitted in a separate filing(s). In the subsequent filing(s) upload a Praecipe as the lead document that explains to the clerk that you are submitting multiple supporting documents that are part of the initial filing. Upload additional supporting documents. Continue with separate submissions, uploading the Praecipe and supporting documents until all supporting document are filed.

Q2: Do I have to submit envelopes and mailing labels?

You do not need to send chambers envelopes or mailing labels for individuals who are being eServed. You do need to send envelopes and mailing labels to the judge’s chambers if there is a pro se party or parties in the case. Mailing labels or service envelopes should be provided to the chambers of the case judge with the submission identified by case name and number.

Q3: Why do I have to mail to chambers copies of filings over 25 pages?

Although short filings may be read on a computer screen, longer briefs or those with many attachments and exhibits are not. Therefore, judges have found it sensible to require a second courtesy copy in paper for longer briefs. These copies may be delivered or mailed directly to the judge’s chambers. Remember, serving copies on the judge does not constitute filing with the Court.

Q4: How do I convert a PDF file into a editable Word document?

  1. 1. Open a file in Acrobat.
    Click on the Export PDF tool in the right pane.
  2. 2. Choose Microsoft Word as your export format, and then choose Word Document.
  3. 3. Click Export. If your PDF contains scanned text, Acrobat will run text recognition automatically.
    Name the Word file and save it in a desired location.

Q5: Will I receive a confirmation for my eFiled document?

The filer will receive an instant receipt upon submitting the filing to the clerk. The receipt will display your date and time of submission, as well as information on the filing such as attorney of record, jurisdiction, party names, fees paid, documents filed, and client matter number. You may wish to print this receipt for your files. In addition, you will receive an acknowledgement email when the filing is submitted.

Q6: How do I resubmit my filing if rejected (alerted) by the clerk?

  1. 1. Log in to the CaseFileXpress system and click on the arrow next to the case title under the cases section on your dashboard.
  2. 2. Locate the filing that reads as rejected under the Action column.
  3. 3. Make the necessary corrections to your filing and submit.
  4. 4. Click on the Add a New Filing link next to the case title.
  5. 5. Follow the steps to submit your filing with corrected information.
  6. 6. You will not be charged for court or CaseFileXpress transaction fees for rejected filings.

Q7: Who receives the eFiling email notifications?

The following table provides a list of recipients for email notifications:

Action Email Notification Recipients
Filing Submission Acknowledgement email Filer
Attorney of Record
eService email Judge
Judicial delegate(s)
Counsel on service list
Counsel’s delegate(s)
Proof of Service email Filer
Attorney of Record
Clerk Acceptance Confirmation email Filer
Attorney of Record
Clerk Rejection Alert email Filer
Attorney of Record

Q8: What is a filing delegate?

A filing delegate is someone who is registered in your firm and can file and receive notifications on your behalf.

Q9: How do I add and remove delegates?

If needed, delegates can be added/removed by your Firm Manager or File & ServeXpress customer support.

If a filing delegate (i.e. paralegal, etc.) logs in with his or her own User ID and Password, then the delegate will receive an email when their attorney is eServed and they will also receive the filing status emails as well, such as a filing Confirmation or Rejection. If the delegate is logging in with his or her attorney’s User ID and Password, then only the attorney will receive the filing status emails.

Q10: Why am I not receiving case filings via e-mail?

When you submit an eFiling or an eFiling is submitted by your delegate, you will receive an email known as the “Acknowledgement" email and serves as a receipt that your filing was submitted to the clerk. Once the clerk accepts or alerts your filing, you will receive a second email. This is known as the “Confirmation" or “Alert" email. Acknowledgement, Confirmation, Alert and eService email are sent from

Your email server may be blocking these emails. Please check with your Information Technology Department to add to your acceptable email list.

If you are a delegate filer, please make sure you are logging in with your own user id and password to be sure you are receiving all notifications as well as your attorney.

Q11: Why do the attachments to a motion, opposition or other filing have to be filed as one document?

Under court rules, all filings are one document. In the computer world, however, documents tend to be ‘uploaded’ separately, which unfortunately creates too many docket entries and is confusing. Therefore, you will find two fields in CaseFileXpress to which to upload documents. The first field is for the “lead" document. This is to be used for the motion or lead opposition document. The second field is for the “supporting” documents, such as points and authorities, exhibits, certificate of service and proposed order. You may combine the documents into one and file it as such in the first field if it is under 25 pages. Otherwise, the lead document should be in the first field and the remainder in the second field. You may combine into one document those uploaded to the second field or upload them separately in the second field and they will be combined in the filing process. The file-stamped front page will be on the lead document in the first field. It is helpful if you list all documents filed with the lead submission in the certificate of service. Alternatively, you may list the documents that are included in the total filing as a table of contents or in the body of the lead document.

*NOTE – when filing documents into The Probate Division, you must upload all documents as supporting documents and then merge them into one document. This court only accepts one attachment.

Q12: Why do I have to redact personal identifying information?

The Superior Court adopted a privacy rule, SCR 5(f)(1), which applies to most divisions, requiring that the filer redact or remove from the public record the following information: Social Security numbers, dates of birth, financial account numbers and names of minors. If you need to include such information in a particular filing, a motion should be filed seeking permission to file the un-redacted filing under seal and, upon approval by the court, a redacted copy can then be submitted, in paper, under seal.

Q13: Can I file a complaint (new case) electronically?

New Complaints can be eFiled in Civil, Tax, Small Claims & Landlord Tenant.  See FAQs regarding Case Initiation. Other complaints must be paper filed via mail or at the courthouse. After a case number is assigned, all subsequent documents must be filed electronically, with the exception of sealed cases, sealed documents, Affidavits of Service, and Writs.  Please consult the respective eFiling Orders for further details.

Q14: Is it okay to eFile a document without a signature? How should I format my electronic signature?

There are three methods to “sign" your lead document. You may use the “/s/" method to sign the pleading. You may also use an electronic image of your signature or a scanned signature. All are acceptable methods to sign pleadings in DC Superior Court.

The “/s/" may be typed on the signature line with the attorney’s name, bar number, law firm information and email address below the line.

John Smith, DC BAR Number: 999999
Smith & Jones, LLC
1200 Pennsylvania Ave
Washington, DC 20006
(202) 879-0000

Q15: How long does it take to eFile a document for the first time?

The first time can take anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes depending on how comfortable the user is, but that time will drastically decrease with practice and training as the user gains experience.

Q16: What types of cases can be electronically filed?

You may currently eFile pending or active cases for Civil I, Civil II, Landlord Tenant & Small Claims, Tax Division, Family, Juvenile, and Probate cases. You must also eServe opposing counsel and the judge on the case when eFiling documents for these cases.

Q17: Why do I have to use the new docket number formula for eFiling?

Please note that the Court’s case management system requires a certain docket number sequence. A filing will face automatic rejection if the correct format is not used. For example, in the Civil Division, the format is as follows: The first sequence is the year, followed by a space and then CA, followed by a space and a six (6) digit docket number, followed by a space and then by a capital letter or letters which signifies the “case type.”

Q18: Can a single filing apply to more than one case?

Because of the case management system, if cases are not officially consolidated with other cases by court order, any document applying in several cases must be filed in each case.

If a case is consolidated with others by court order, then a document can be filed in the lead case. The comments field on the eFiling screen must be used to specify to what other cases the document applies. It will then be accepted (or rejected) by the clerk in the lead case, and a docket entry that it was filed will be made in each of the other cases with which it is consolidated. The entry will also state the case number of the lead case where the document was filed and can be viewed on a public access system.

Q19: How do I add a new party to the case?

A motion seeking to add a new party (plaintiff, defendant, respondent) must be eFiled. If the judge grants the motion, a paper version of the amended complaint with the new party should be filed in hard copy so that a summons can issue from the clerk’s office, so that the new party will be served.

Q20: Can I eFile into the Federal court system through the CaseFileXpress system?

No. The CaseFileXpress system provides electronic filing services for state courts and not the Federal court system. Federal courts typically utilize the PACER system for electronic filing.

Q21: What do the icons on my Dashboard represent?

Filing was submitted to the court and is awaiting review by the court clerk. (This also applies to Discovery Services)
Filing was accepted by the court clerk.
The court clerk rejected filing – You must correct and resubmit your filing; payment is not processed.

Q22: Does the CaseFileXpress system provide online document access?

Yes, once logged in to the CaseFileXpress system, you may access documents filed by you or your filing delegate and documents served by opposing counsel and the judge through the Cases section on your Dashboard. Simply click on the down arrow next to the case title to view eFiled transactions for the case. Locate and click on the trace number of the particular filing to view/retrieve the documents filed. In addition, you may click on the View All Cases link on the your dashboard and search all cases and eFiled transactions in your firm’s office.

You may access the documents filed or served by you after June of 2012 as many times as needed at no cost. If you need access to documents filed prior to that date, please contact the court.

Q23: How do I retrieve my file-stamped copy?

  1. 1. Once the clerk has accepted the filing, the attorney of record and filing delegate, if applicable, will receive a confirmation email notification and a green check mark next to the transaction on their Dashboard.
  2. 2. Log in to the system, click on the trace number of the transaction under the Notifications or Cases section on your Dashboard.
  3. 3. Click on your lead document under the Document Information section to retrieve, view, download and/or print your file-stamped copy.

Q24: Do I need to scan and convert documents prior to uploading for eFiling?

EFiling rules require that eFiled documents be submitted to the clerk in PDF format. Documents, attachments, and exhibits uploaded through File & ServeXpress are automatically converted to PDF (formats such as Microsoft Word, JPEG, TIF, TIFF, RTF, TXT, and HTML are converted).

If your document is only available in paper form, you will need to scan and save the document as a PDF before eFiling. The minimum resolution for scanned documents is 300 dpi. The CaseFileXpress system requires Adobe 6.0 or higher. If you have an older version of Adobe on your scanner, please update to 6.0 or higher or scan to a TIF format and allow the CaseFileXpress system to convert your document to PDF.

Q25: Is it necessary to combine my lead document with my supporting documents?

If your filing exceeds 25 pages in total, first upload your lead document, then upload your supporting documents. Per the administrative order, you must then merge your supporting documents into one PDF document. To merge, simply click the Merge Supporting Documents button on Step 2. The supporting documents will be merged in to one PDF document in the order in which they were uploaded. You may rename the resulting merged document by clicking the Rename link.

Q26: Am I required to add a judge to a case when eFiling to DC Superior Court?

Yes. You must add the judge on the case to your service list when eFiling to the DC Superior Court. For the Probate Division, Judge Probate Division should be added and can be found by searching last name: “Probate Division” and first name: “Judge.”

**If you are a judge submitting an order electronically or, a judicial staff member submitting an order on behalf of a judge, the judge’s user ID on Step 1 must be selected from the drop-down menu.

Q27: How do I retrieve a judge's order?

Judge’s orders are retrieved in the same way as file stamped documents.

  1. 1. Log in to the system
  2. 2. Click on your trace number of the eOrder.
  3. 3. Click on your lead document under the Document Information section to retrieve, view, download and/or print your file-stamped copy.

Q28: How many digits are in the DC bar numbers for eFile purposes?

Your bar number for DC Superior Court filings should be 6-digits. If you currently have a 5-digit bar number, please add a leading zero when eFiling.

Q29: How do I eFile if I am "Pro Hac Vice"?

If you are admitted as a Pro Hac by the DC Superior Court, you may use “999999" as your bar number when registering.

Q30: Why won't my bar number work when I file pro hac vice?

[For attorneys] The Superior Court’s case management database and its eFiling system only recognize DC Bar member numbers. Attorneys who are licensed in other states and who are filing pro hac vice should contact File & ServeXpress customer support for a registration number to be used in the field for “bar number." Under Superior Court rules, pro hac vice attorneys must file through local counsel.

Q31: Can I access the court's docket online?

You may access the court’s docket online through the following link:

 The following table provides a list of recipients for email notifications:

eOrder Acknowledgement email Judicial Filer
eService email Counsel on service list
Counsel’s delegate(s)
Proof of Service email Judicial Filer
Discovery Service Proof of Service email Filer
Attorney of Record
Discovery eService email Counsel on service list
Counsel’s delegate(s)

Electronic Service

Q1: How do I add an attorney to a case for eService?

  1. 1. From the dashboard, click Submit New Filing for a new case or for an existing case, locate the case title under the cases section on your dashboard, and click on Add New Filing.
  2. 2. Click Add Attorneys and Judge at the top of the screen.
  3. 3. Search for the attorney or judge by their first name, last name, organization or bar number. Our search functionality allows for partial name searches. Click the Add button next to the name from the search results.
  4. 4. Select a role for each service list recipient.
  5. 5. The attorney(s) or judge you added to the case will begin receiving all electronic service when filings or orders are submitted on this case.

Q2: How would a filer set up the eService list once a case has been filed and assigned a case number?

This step is part of the eFiling process. The filer will search by name to add eServe recipients. The list can be saved by saving a draft or by submitting the transaction. Adding eService recipients is explained and demonstrated during training. Please also add Judge Probate Division by searching for Last Name: “Probate” and First Name ”Judge.” Do not add the judge assigned to the case unless requested by that judge to do so.

Q3: Can I serve discovery electronically?

You may serve discovery documents electronically on counsel through the system. Pursuant to Rule Promulgation Order 07-04, effective September 4, 2007, Certificates Regarding Discovery need not be filed when discovery is served. Instead, a Certificate Regarding Discovery that has occurred in the case must be filed as an attachment with any of the following three filings: (1) a motion regarding discovery; (2) an opposition to a dispositive motion based on the need for discovery; and (3) a motion to extend Scheduling Order dates. SCR Civil 5(d). If Certificates Regarding Discovery are already in the Court record, the Certificate Regarding Discovery may incorporate those certificates by reference and also list any additional discovery, if any, that has occurred.

Discovery is not served on the court unless it is necessary to a motion regarding the same.

Q4: How do I file attachments or exhibits to motions and other filings?

When you upload your document you will see fields to upload a “lead" document and upload “attachments." Upload your original filing, i.e. your motion, as the “lead" document and all exhibits or attachments as “supporting documents."

Q5: How do I eServe a Judge?

When creating the Service List on the CaseFileXpress system, please search for the Last Name of the Judge. Then add the judge assigned to your case to the service list. Please see special instructions for eServing Probate judges below.

Q6: How do I have eServe a Probate Judge?

When creating the Service List on the CaseFileXpress system, please search and add Judge Probate Division ( by searching for Last Name “Probate” and First Name “Judge.” Do not add the judge assigned to the case unless requested by that judge to do so.

Q7: What is eService?

EService is mandatory for the DC Superior Court and enables attorneys to electronically serve opposing parties and the judge when eFiling their case documents to the court. If pro se parties elect to eFile they may be eServed. Otherwise, pro se parties must be served outside of the CaseFileXpress eFiling system through traditional methods such as mail, fax, or hand delivery.

Q8: How do I retrieve a copy of electronic service documents?

If you are served electronically by opposing counsel or the judge, you will receive an eService email notification.

  1. 1. Log in to the CaseFileXpress system and click on your trace number of the eService transaction received under the notifications or cases section on your dashboard.
  2. 2. Click on the document(s) you want to retrieve under the document information section.  You may view, download and/or print the eServed document(s).

If you have active cases, we recommend that you log in to your CaseFileXpress account daily to check for eServed documents.

Landlord Tenant & Small Claims

Q1: What is the proper order of documents for case initiations?


Small Claims

  1. 1. Statement of claims
  2. 2. Instructions to Defendant – back of statement of claims
  3. 3. Information sheet
  4. 4. Process server application (if applicable)
  5. 5. Other supporting documentation/exhibits

Note: Begin the supporting documents with continuation from documents 1-4

Landlord Tenant

  1. 1. Complaint
  2. 2. Summons
  3. 3. Other supporting documentation ex Notice to quit and all exhibits

Note: Begin supporting documents with continuation from documents 1-2

Note: If a continuation sheet is needed to accommodate additional parties include the name of the defendant, registered agent if applicable, and full address listed for each defendant even if the address is the same.

Civil Action - Case initiation

Q1: On what date did New Case Initiation become effective?

A: Per Administrative Order 15-03, New Cases can be eFiled as of March 4, 2015. The fiilngs will become mandatory on May 4, 2015

Q2: In which case types may I file Complaints?

A: Refer to Administrative Order – Attachment A for the full list of case types.

Q3: What documents must be eFiled with the Complaint?

A: You must upload, in this order, the Complaint (title page first); Exhibits; Summons forms if you have them; Information Sheet (fillable form from the court website).

NOTE: Only one copy of a summons is required to be uploaded.

Q4: Are there certain document types that cannot be filed with a Complaint?

A: Complaints may NOT be eFiled, and must be filed in paper with the clerk, if they are accompanied by any of the following:

  • – A motion with respect to publication of notice requirements;
  • – A motion regarding security for costs;
  • – An application to set a bond;
  • – An application for temporary restraining order;
  • – A motion for protective order barring access to court documents or party information;
  • – A motion to use pseudonyms in any pleading or paper filed in the case;
  • – An application or motion for approval of accounts;
  • – A motion requiring immediate judicial attention presented to the Judge-in-Chambers.

Q5: Are there certain Actions which cannot be eFiled?

A: The following may NOT be eFiled, and must be filed in paper with the clerk:

  • – A petition for judicial approval of a settlement involving a minor;
  • – A writ of ne exeat;
  • – A writ of attachment before judgment;
  • – A writ of replevin
  • – An action for libel of information;
  • – An application or motion for approval of accounts;
  • – A request for approval of a subpoena for an administrative proceeding;
  • – An application for name change/birth certificate;
  • – A petition to release a mechanic’s lien;
  • – An application for entry of a final order of an administrative agency as a judgment;
  • – A petition to take depositions pursuant to Rule 27(a);
  • – A master-meter proceeding under D.C. Code § 43-541 et seq. (1981);
  • – A request for issuance of a subpoena under Rule 28-I(b).

Q6: How do I add the parties to my case into the eFiling system?

A: On the Filing details tab, under Service, you click add case parties and a new screen appears. You must add at least one plaintiff and one defendant on this tab.

If you do not know a parties’ address, complete the screen as follows: City: UNKNOWN, State: NA, Zip Code: 00000

Q7: Is there a limit to how many parties I may add in a case?

A: No, add the parties that are named, and you cannot complete a submission without adding at least one plaintiff and one defendant.

Q8: What is the cost of eFiling a Complaint?

A: The court cost to file a complaint is $120.00 regardless of the number of initial summons(es) sought. There is a charge of $10.00 for each additional summons (“alias summons”) sought after submission of the initial summonses. The CaseFileXpress cost of $15.00 will also be applied.

Note: If you are not required to pay the cost of Filing Fees (due to the nature of the party you represent) choose the document type of Civil Action Complaint Cost Waived.

Q9: What if my Complaint contains confidential information?

A: As in any submission it is your responsibility to redact confidential information.

Q10: How will I know my case number and the judge to whom my case is assigned?

A: Once the case is accepted, you will receive a confirmation email which will contain the case number and the judge assignment.

An acceptance package will be served on you including the complaint with assigned case number, executed summons(es), and the initial order and addendum. In Title 47 cases, the package also will include the executed order of publication, and in mortgage foreclosure/judicial sale cases, the package will include the notice to homeowner.

Q11: What is the procedure for eFiling summons(es)?

A: The cost to file a complaint is $120.00 regardless of the number of initial summons(es) sought. There is a charge of $10.00 for each additional summons (“alias summons”) sought after submission of the initial summonses.

If additional summonses (alias summons) are required, you may submit a subsequent filing choosing the document type to correspond with the number of summonses needed.

Examples of Document Types to choose from, depending on the number needed:doc types

Q12: What if I have to file an original emergency matter?

A: These may not be eFiled.

Q13: Where can I download the Summons and Case Information Sheet?

A: From the court’s website here:

Q14: Is there any way to alert the court that I am filing on or close to a statute of limitations deadline?

A: Yes, you may put a note in the Special Instruction to the Clerk box on the Confirm and Submit screen. This does not guarantee that your submission will be accepted if it does not conform to the rules of eFiling.

Q15: Do I need to include the second page of the summons with the Spanish translation?

A: Yes.

Q16: Do I still need to write the number of pages in the top corner of the summons?

A: No.

Q17: How do I get a waiver?

A: You must still go down to the court as this is a JIC process and must be granted. Once granted you can eFile your new case and choose the Fee Waived document type.

Q18: When entering Organization parties in the Add Parties screen on CaseFileXpress, do I use the company’s address or the registered agent’s address?

A: Please use the actual business address NOT the registered agent when entering the party into CaseFileXpress.


Q1: How do I find the appropriate person from PSA or CSOSA to add to the service list for my case?

A: For contact information for PSA & CSOSA please click the links below:


Q1: What if I forget my User ID and/or Password?

A: Access the login page for the CaseFileXpress system here. Click “Forgot your User ID" or “Forgot your Password." We will send your user ID and/or a temporary password via email.

Q2: Can I correct an eFiling submitted with the wrong document type?

A: If your profile (user-id) allows the clerk to modify your document type, the court clerk’s office can/will correct the document type for you.

To ensure that you are set up to allow the clerk to modify your document type, edit your CaseFileXpress profile as follows: Access your account at, enter your CaseFileXpress user-id and password, click on “Change Profile" and check the box that says, “Allow the Clerk to Modify."

Q3: Where can I get information about the DC Superior Courts?

A: Please refer to the DC Superior Courts website.

Rules of Procedure

Q1: Does eFiling extend the filing deadline?

A: Yes. You may now eFile until 11:59:59 ET and your documents will be file stamped the same day if the clerk accepts your filing. The CaseFileXpress system captures the time and date immediately when you submit your filing successfully. Upon acceptance by the court clerk, a time and date stamp watermark will appear in the upper right-hand corner of your lead document. This will be the time and date of your submission. If the clerk rejects the filing, you must take corrective action and resubmit your entire filing. A rejected filing is not docketed by the court’s case management system

Q2: What proof will I have that I eFiled my document?

A: When you successfully submit your filing, you’ll receive an instant receipt with a date and time stamp and information about your filing. You will also receive an acknowledgement email upon submission if the court clerk reviews accepts your filing, you will receive a confirmation email and an electronic file stamped copy will be available from your dashboard.

Q3: What proof will I receive when sending eService?

A: The filer and the attorney of record sending the service will receive a proof of service email with an attached PDF document with details of the eService.

Q4: Who will receive eFiling notifications?

A: The filing attorney and the delegate who files on his/her behalf will receive an acknowledgement email when the document is submitted, and a confirmation email when the document is accepted by the clerk, or an alert email when the filing is rejected by the clerk. All notification emails will provide the trace number for the filing.

Q5: When do I file Certificates regarding discovery?

A: Pursuant to Rule Promulgation Order 07-04, effective September 4, 2007. Please click here to learn more:

Note: Discovery is not served on the court unless it is necessary to a motion regarding the same.

Q6: Can I eFile Triple Seal Requests?

A: Yes, in Civil cases you may eFile Triple Seal Requests. Within the CaseFileXpress system, in Step 2 select Triple Seal Request as the document type and upload a Praecipe indicating the request for a Triple Seal. The clerk will mail the Triple Seal in approximately three (3) to four (4) days to the requesting party.


Q1: What are the technical requirements for eFiling to the DC Superior Court through the CaseFileXpress system?


  • – A computer or laptop with Internet access
  • – Internet Browser (Internet Explorer will yield the best results; however most other browsers are supported)
  • – Document creation software such as Microsoft® Word or Corel® WordPerfect®
  • – A scanner to scan supporting documents and exhibits (minimum 300 DPI)
  • – Adobe® Reader® – to read and open and view PDF documents
  • – Optional (PDF conversion software)
  • – A CaseFileXpress login

Q2: What Browsers do you support?

A: The application is best viewed on IE 6+ for PC. Performance of the application cannot be guaranteed with other browsers and operating system, such as Safari for Macintosh. Please notify FSX Customer Support if you have issues with using the system in your browser.

Q3: What software do I need to view eFiled and eServed documents?

A: You will need Adobe Reader software to view PDF documents through the CaseFileXpress system. Adobe Reader is available for download at no charge through the following link:

Q4: What is the maximum file size for eFiling documents?

A: The maximum file size is 30 megabytes (MB). If your filing is larger than 30MB (total size of all documents combined), you will need to separate your filing into 30MB or smaller segments and submit multiple filings (see instructions below for submitting multiple filings). During the upload process on Step 2, our system calculates and displays your total number of pages and filing size as you upload your documents. You may also right-click on the document and select properties to view its file size.